Do I Need A Residential Endorsement License?

Who Needs A License?
There are three levels of contractor licensing in the state of Alaska.  The information below is a general overview, but for more detailed information the state should be contacted. 

Specialty Contractor
The first level of contractor licensing is called a Specialty Contractor.  This license allows an individual to complete work on commercial and residential structures as long as their work is not outside the three areas of specialty that they have registered for (for example drywall, paint, and finish carpentry are three specialty areas) and the work they complete is not valued at more than 25% of the buildings total value.  This means a specialty contractor could complete drywall and paint on a structure but they would not be able to complete work on excavation or concrete.  They would also not be able to do any work on the building if their total services within the three areas of specialty were not valued at more than 25% of the buildings value.

General Contractor Excluding Residential
The second level of contractor is a General Contractor Excluding Residential.  This license allows an individual to complete work on commercial buildings without restriction and limited residential.  The general contractor excluding residential is no longer limited to three areas of specialty on either commercial or residential, but they are limited to work that is valued at 25% or less of the building's total value on residential.    This means a contractor could do excavation and drywall on a residential structure as long as it was less than 25% of the building's total value, and would be able to complete unlimited work on a commercial structure. 

General Contractor With A Residential Endorsement
The final level of contractor licensing is the General Contractor with a Residential Endorsement.  This license allows the contractor to work unlimited commercial and unlimited residential buildings. 

As with all three of these licenses, the contractor is able to work all aspects of the job except for plumbing, mechanical, and electrical which must be covered under a different license.  The licensing for plumbing, mechanical, and electrical require minimum apprenticeship hours under a licensed administrator and the successful completion of an examination once minimum apprenticeship hours have been met.

All three contractor types are required to file with the Division of Occupational Licensing for a license and must have a bond and insurance on file with them.  The residential endorsement license however is the only license that has other pre-requisite requirements (the cold climate class and passing the examination).  The General Contractor Excluding Residential and the Specialty Contractor have no class or exam pre-requisites in order to apply for that contractor license.


For more information about professional licensing of construction contractors in Alaska, please visit the state website here.